1. Make your own glitter heels.
2. Bejewel a pair of flats.Take a pair of well-worn flats and give them an update by using Mod Podge to fasten large crystals and rhinestones to them. Outline the soles, create a cap toe, embellish the heels or create shapes.
3. Make your own prom headband.Measure a piece of wide elastic (which can be found at any craft store like Michael’s or Jo-Ann Fabric) so it stretches to comfortably fit around your head. Then, glue a beaded appliqué (found at fabric stores) that complements your prom dress to it. After it dries, you’ll have a unique prom headband.
4. Turn chopsticks into hair sticks.If you’re doing an updo, create custom hair sticks to make your look really pop. Coat the sticks with a small amount of glue and wrap a ribbon around them. After it dries, wrap jewelry-making wire around the ends, adding multi-colored beads as you go.
5. Make your own beaded bracelets.Grab some beads from the craft store along with some stretchy elastic. Create a stack of bracelets using the beads you chose, tying them off when you’re done. You’ll have an instant stack of bracelets! More DIY bracelet ideas here.
6. Bejewel an old clutch.Take a bag you don’t use anymore, or find a cheap plain clutch at a discount store, and make it your own. Use Mod Podge fabric glue to bejewel the clutch with rhinestones, add feathers, or dip it in glitter. Find a vintage-looking cameo or interesting stone to put in the center.
7. More DIY Prom IdeasIntrigued by these DIY accessory ideas? There are a ton of other ways to save money at prom, too.
If you can’t afford a fancy new dress, try dressing up a plain dress instead. With some dramatic makeup, creative hair and statement accessories, your look will go from drab to daring.
Make a dress out of duct tape. It takes some time and creativity, but every year a few teens attend prom wearing dresses and tuxes made entirely of duct tape. Check out one duct tape prom creation here.
Do your own hair and makeup. There’s no need to hire a professional and go crazy with designer makeup. Get prom hair inspiration and prom makeup inspiration here, then head to the drug store and pick out the shades you’ll need.