If you're on the prom committee
, you've probably been tasked with selecting the prom song. It doesn't always have to be the most current jam, but it should be a romantic song, symbolic of high school ending and graduation, and something that everyone can slow dance to
A word of advice: pick four or five options for the prom song
and then turn them over to the senior student body for a vote. It's more democratic, takes the burden off the prom committee, plus, if everyone selects the prom song, you'll have more happy dance-goers on your hand... and isn't that why you wanted to plan the prom in the first place?
1. "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri, Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 1 SoundtrackThis super romantic song was enough to capture the epic love of Edward and Bella, so it's definitely worthy enough to be your prom song. It's a beautiful slow ballad full of piano, violins and soft, sweet lyrics.
2. “The Only Exception” by Paramore from Brand New Eyes
I love this love song
because it's not super cheesy. This slow jam belted by my favorite punk rocker Hayley Williams gets me every time, and your rocker peers will definitely appreciate it.
3. “Fall” by Justin Bieber from BelieveThis song tells the story of so many high school romances- a girl and a guy are best friends and then fall in love. It's a sweet, romantic song that's super easy to sway to.
4. “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” by Greenday from Nimrod
If any song has captured the bittersweetness of leaving high school and moving on to new things in life, this one is it. It's not the most romantic song
, but it will definitely trigger some tears.
5. “Carry On” by Fun. from Some NightsThis song symbolizes the strength to face the unknown and the real world after high school. It's a true anthem and a call to arms- to gather strength from your past, love your friends, and move on to find your way in the world.
6. “I Won't Give Up” by Jason Mraz from Love is a Four Letter Word“I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough,” can be interpreted as a song to honor your boyfriend or girlfriend, or your very best friend. It's slow, sweet and perfect evening closer.
7. “All We Are” by Matt Nathanson from Some Mad HopeFull of hope and pretty melodies, this slow song is perfect for prom, especially when the lyrics “Every day is a start of something beautiful” start to play!
8. “Do You Remember” by Blake Shelton from Based on a True StoryIf you're envisioning your prom song as a country jam, consider this slow and romantic song. It's all about remembering a beautiful love and living in the moment.
9. “Safe & Sound” Taylor Swift ft The Civil Wars, from The Hunger Games SoundtrackThe harmonies make it a little haunting, but this love song is still totally beautiful. If your class is more into the indie hipster jams, this might be a good choice.
10. “Let Go” by Frou Frou from DetailsA prom song doesn't always have to be a pop ballad. “Let Go” was an indie smash when it came out, and it can symbolize your classmates' time to let go, jump in and leave the safety net of high school.