Take a cue from Miley Cyrus, and wear a fancy skirt to a formal event. Skip the dress, opt glamorous separates, and double your wardrobe options.
Time Required: Minimal
- Look for luxe fabrics. From tulle to chiffon, silk to satin, skirts in nice materials look endlessly expensive. Cotton is fine for daytime, but nights out demand something a bit more sophisticated.
- Ruffles and tiers up the elegance. Fancy details make all the difference in the dressiness of a skirt; a ruffled trim or tiered motif creates an stunning party-dress silhouette even if you're wearing separates. The more volume, the better.
- Cinch your waist. A skirt that comes just below the ribs creates a look reminiscent of a stylish cocktail dress, even if it's paired with something as simple as a little white tank.
- Heels are a must. Even the fanciest of flats still aren't quite dressy enough for formal events when paired with separates. If you're wearing a skirt, step it up ‒ quite literally ‒ with a chic pair of heels.
- Accessories add serious glitz. While you can get away with minimal glimmer with a prom dress, skirts allow for an extra dose of decoration. Miley layers on necklaces and bracelets to a dazzling affect.