The Perfect Prom Dress:
- When it comes to color, don't just go with what's the most unique or shocking shade. Standing out in a sea of glowing prom dresses is an impossible feat; instead, choose something that flatters your coloring!
- Search through the websites of fancy department stores like Saks, Neiman Marcus, and Barneys, zooming in on their sale sections. You can often find celeb-worthy gowns for up to 75% off!
- Prom shopping requires a completely open mind. Try on dresses that don't stand out to you, give unconventional colors a chance, and do Mom a favor and try on the dresses she chooses - just for fun!
The Perfect Prom Jewelry:
- Pick out one piece of stunning jewelry and stop there. If you have a show stopping necklace, stick with small stud earrings. If you're wearing glittery chandeliers, leave your neck bare.
- Let your personality shine with accessories. Toss on a few too many bangles, grab your favorite jangling charm bracelet, or layer on a few complementary necklaces. The only rule: match your metals!
- The standard rhinestone prom jewelry is pretty, but don't limit your options! Knotted flapper pearls, chunky beaded bracelets, and enormous cocktail rings all add an expected spin to formal threads.
The Perfect Prom Shoes:
- The right shoes are crucial to a successful prom look. Your best bet is to avoid any of the standard prom shoe stops and instead, hit up unconventional resources like giant shoe warehouses, downtown boutiques, and off-pricers like Payless.
- If you wear a hard-to-find shoe size, check out Zappos.com. They have an enormous variety of stylish shoes that are available in all sizes - small and large.
- There are so many fabulous shoe options out there and dyed-to-match is not one of them! If you're at a loss for finding coordinating shoes, look for a sleek metallic heel that matches the metal of your jewelry.
The Perfect Prom Accessories:
- A purse is necessary for the bare essentials, but not any old knapsack will do. Floppy clutches, bracelet bags, and envelope pocketbooks are both elegant and efficient.
- Only carry what you truly need. Lipgloss is a necessity, but the contents of your entire makeup bag is not. A little cash is a must, but your whole billfold is not. Consolidate - you'll thank yourself later.
- Consider leaving your pricey digital at home. Prom is such a whirlwind, and keeping track of a camera can be tough! Disposable cameras are great alternatives. For under $20, you can find black & white and digital varieties.