Prom Dresses for Less: Where To Find Cheap & Chic Dresses:
Why spend a fortune on a dress you'll wear for one night? With a little creativity and a lot of time, you cans snag a fabulous prom dress for less.
The only obstacle standing between you and a fabulous prom bargain is a day spent combing through thrift stores and vintage bins.
- Keep your eyes peeled for timeless shapes, luxurious fabrics, and classic details.
- Don't focus too much on the fit - a few tweaks from the tailor can change the entire look.
- Choose "blank canvas" that can be jazzed up with a fistful of layered necklaces, a cluster of brooches, or a colorful obi belt.
After you gain approval to peruse, peek through the closets of your sisters, mother, and grandmother.
- Zoom in on anything that could be chopped, draped, or sewn into a piece of art.
- Keep in mind that little alterations can make an enormous difference in the vibe of a dress.
- Sleeves can be removed, the neckline can be modified, a sash can nip the waist, the length can be shortened, and the silhouette can be tailored.
Do you know your way around a sewing machine? The idea of whipping up a prom dress may sound intimidating at first, but keep in mind that most dress patterns are remarkably simple.
- Select a pattern with minimal seams and simple hemlines.
- Details like ruffles and trim are much easier than they appear.
- The most challenging point is often working with flimsy fabrics, but if you stick with taffeta and raw silk -- and stay away from chiffon and satin - you'll find the task far less daunting than, say, prom dress shopping!